A joyful Gaudete Sunday to all of you! We have one week left before Christmas break, and we intend to use it😁. Students will be working on new skills, practicing old ones, and, wherever possible, having some holiday fun. If you need a reminder of the spirit days this week, check out the News, Events, and Expectations section for details.
This is also the third week of Advent, so we want to take a moment to remind you of the school Advent project – sponsoring nine children around the world through the Unbound program! If you haven’t already read about, prayed for, and or donated to the project, please check out the information below:
St. John School Advent Project: Unbound
This Advent, St. John School continues to collect donations for the charity Unbound. St. John School’s monthly contribution goes toward basic needs such as nutrition, healthcare and an education for our sponsor students. Meet our Unbound friends: https://youtu.be/bLYCReYTZHc
Ways to donate:
- Bring a donation to class (PK-2)
- Drop off your donation when picking up hot lunch
- Give online: https://st-johnschool.org/unbound/ (this is a new, dedicated as of last week – please let me know if you have any questions!)
Please review the Curriculum Preview to get an idea of what’s happening in classes this week, and reach out if you have any questions.
News, Events, and Expectations:
- Monday, December 14 – Holiday Headwear Day
- Wear fun and festive holiday hats, like antlers headbands, elf ears or Santa hats.
- Tuesday, December 15 – Winter Sports Fan Day
- Calling all fans of winter sports – hockey, skiing, ice skating, speed skating, snowboarding, ice stocking, luge, skeleton, bobsled, curling, ice fishing, Nordic combined and more.
- Dress up in your favorite winter sport gear or our school colors of purple and gold – break out your St. John jerseys.
- Wednesday, December 16 – Cozy Day
- It’s getting cold! Time to put on your fuzzy slippers, wearable blankets and scarves.
- Thursday, December 17 – Ugly Sweater Day
- Sparkly tinsel? Multicolored ribbons? Christmas cats eating pizza? Are they on a sweater? Wear it proudly.
- Friday, December 18 – Festive Friday
- Go all out! Dress and decorate yourself in Christmas Cheer!
Tips, Tricks, and Tools:
- Take Time for You
- The tip this week is simple – if you can, take some time for yourself this break to recharge your own batteries. This is a trying year for everyone, and you have a lot of demands on your time. Given the marathon nature of this pandemic, and the fact that you have at least one middle schooler living with you, self-care is incredibly important.
- If you haven’t already, please take some time for yourself this holiday season and do whatever brings you a little bit of peace and joy!
- In science this week, 7th graders will continue to learn about historical models of the solar system, and begin work on the mechanics of Earth’s orbit around the sun. There will be a short checkpoint quiz on Thursday instead of Friday this week. In addition, students are strongly encouraged to continue working on their research papers, which are due on January 12.
- Social Studies
- This week in 7th grade Social Studies students will wrap up their study of ancient cultures of Asia by learning about the great Mughal Empire in India. They will explore both the Muslim and Mongol invasions of India, and then the rise of fall of the Mughal Empire.
- Language Arts
- One-on-one book talk meetings with me continue this week. I look forward to meeting with students and helping them grow! In addition, we will continue our discussions about the importance of seeking and using credible sources, and hopefully get some time to practice.
- Students have a quiz on their Greek root (biblos – book) on Wednesday, December 16th. They should review their vocabulary 5-10 minutes a day.
- This week we will be creating a Holiday Cookie Shop! Students will be able to put their fraction, decimal and equation writing/solving skills to work through this yummy, real world scenario!
- Students do NOT have to actually bake cookies – but if you want to, the recipe sheet is attached!
- Community / Religion
- In community-7th graders will complete their “Freedom Song” projects this Tuesday. On Thursday we will ring in the Christmas holidays with a round of Christmas Jeopardy.
As always, please reach out if you have any questions, and have a week and break that is full of light, joy, rest, wonder, relaxation, laughter and so much more!