Dear middle school students and families:
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! I look forward to a new year of learning, fun, and personal growth for all of my students. Here’s what you need to know for the first week of school:
- Zero period math classes in 7th and 8th grades will begin on Thursday, August 31, at 7:40 AM. Students, please be prepared for some light work on that day: pencils, composition book, graph paper, and, in 8th grade, a calculator.
- Students in 7th grade will need to bring the supplies we asked them to acquire on the first day of school, Wednesday, August 30.
- School will dismiss at 12:00 on Wednesday, August 30.
- The Jog-a-thon kicks off on Friday, September first. You don’t need your running shoes just yet, but it might be a good idea to remember where they are…
- Specialist classes (PE, music, tech, Spanish, art) have a different schedule this year. Instead of having different specialists in different grading periods, students will have all specialist classes in all trimesters. In previous years, students had 12 weeks of PE every day, followed by 12 weeks of Spanish every day, etc. Now they have PE and Spanish all year on a rotating schedule.
- The science fair project in 7th and 8th grade has become a science/engineering inquiry project. Students will still be required to do a project (I’m really committed to this, for very good reasons), but they way they present their findings will change. Instead of chatting up random parents/students in front of tri-fold boards at a science fair, they will present their finding in a presentation before their peers and me. If you have concerns about this change, please feel free to contact me, and I’ll be happy to discuss it.